Tuesday, September 25, 2007

CREATING SPACES

Sorting and tossing is creating space, make that prural -- spaces. I am even thinking of them as "sacred' spaces. So sacred that I am filling them in with empty boxes so that another in this household doesn't try to fill them up with his stuff.

The buh-byes are not many. I came upon a box filled with shells, beautiful collected stones, smooth and artistically mishapen pieces of driftwood and, wonder of wonders, ingredients for potting up indoor plants. Now, why in box? How can I appreciate these lovely things in a box hidden on a shelf in the cellar? SO, out they come. The shells and stones are dispatched to corners in the gardens; the driftwood I will use on the dining room table to enhance flower arrangements, The miscellaneous ingredients for potting are beiing gathered from the seven corners of the homestead into one giant Zip-Loc. Ah, space.

And the empty space can now be filled with an empty box and I can move on to the next box, then the next, and then the next. Is the goal here to have shevles full of empty boxes? No, the goal is to be rid of unused, unneeded "stuff." The goal is to organize into like boxes the stuff that needs to be kept -- and I am thinking that there is less and less of that.

A box of yarn, not used for twenty years. My color preferences have drastically changed in that time period. I am now into softer colors, no browns or yellow ochre, no bright reds. Buh-bye. A two foot stack of Cloth Doll magazines. I am never going to make all those dolls -- buh-bye. More space. I am loving this. I am freeing myself from unwanted ties to the past. In fact meaningless ties that have been hanging around. For why? Those rocks and shells were collected over many, many years from a variety of shores. I cannot put a name to any of the shores or even remember the time of wandering and collecting. Let it go. Move on. Go forward unencumbered. Life is good.

No comments: